6 Day Delay For The Opening Of Horsetooth and College
All summer long one of Fort Collins' major intersections has been closed for improvements. West Horsetooth at College was set to open this past Monday, September 10th. But, there was a delay and now it is set to open on Sunday, September 16th.
According to the City of Fort Collins website:
The road was originally scheduled to open on Sept. 10, and crews have been working nearly around the clock for several weeks in an effort to meet that schedule and make up for days lost due to unforeseen underground conditions.
The Horsetooth and College intersection is one of the busiest in Fort Collins and is a top-ranked location for safety and operational improvements. Currently the intersection experiences heavy congestion during peak traffic times and a high number of left-turn crashes.
The intersection improvements include:
- Dual left-turn lanes on College and Horsetooth in all directions
- Northbound and southbound right-turn lanes on College with pedestrian refuge islands
- Improved bicycle and pedestrian facilities on Horsetooth from Mason Street to Mitchell Drive
- Full replacement of the Horsetooth bridge over Larimer Canal No. 2
- Widen existing College bridge over the canal and replace pedestrian bridge
- Landscaped medians and urban design elements to create a warm and friendly intersection
Here's a preview of the final improvement.