Larimer and Weld County Food Banks Need Over 7,000 Turkeys for Holidays
Can you imagine not being able to afford a turkey for Christmas or Thanksgiving. That is a reality for thousands of families in northern Colorado. The Food Bank for Larimer County and Weld Food Bank are requesting 7,250 turkeys this holiday season.
The Food Bank for Larimer County in Fort Collins is asking for donations of 2,750+ frozen turkeys to help their partner agencies provide holiday meals and holiday meal baskets to low-income residents. Holiday “fixin’s” are also needed, including:
- 1,200 bags or boxes of stuffing
- 900 cans of cranberries
- 1,800 cans of yams/sweet potatoes
How to Help
Donations are especially needed before Thanksgiving Day, but will be accepted now through December 18 at the Food Bank, 1301 Blue Spruce in Fort Collins, Monday through Friday from 8:00 am - 4:00 pm on the north side of the building.
- The 11th Annual Poudre School District Turkey Round Up is Thursday, November 12. Staff and students compete to collect the most turkeys to donate to the Food Bank. Last year, they contributed a record-breaking 1,669 turkeys.
Weld Food Bank and their partner agencies need 4,500 frozen turkeys this year for families in need. They currently have 0 turkeys on hand. They are also requesting holiday “fixin’s”, including:
- 4,467 potatoes
- 4,929 can of cranberries
- 8,260 cans of green beans
- 7,369 cans of mushroom soup
- 6,472 boxes of stuffing
How to Help
Turkeys can be dropped off right now at the Weld Food Bank warehouse located at 1108 H Street in Greeley, Monday-Friday 8:00-4:00.
- Wing Shack is partnering with the food bank to collect turkeys at their Garden City, West Greeley and Windsor locations. Anyone who donates a turkey at one of those three locations will receive 6 free wings. On top of that, Wing Shack will also make a $5 donation per turkey to Weld Food Bank.
- Weld Food Bank will be holding their annual Turkey Drive on Saturday, November 21 from 8am to 3pm at select locations. The participating stores are: Walmart on 47th Avenue, Sam’s Club and both Safeway locations in Greeley, as well as Ken Pratt Walmart in Longmont. Donations can also be made at the food bank warehouse on that day.