New Restrictions for Outdoor Residential Burning in Fort Collins
Back in March, the City of Fort Collins addressed issued connected to the affect that wood smoke has to residents' health.
Since the smoke and odor created by burning wood can have unintentional harmful impacts young, elderly and people with heart or lung conditions the city has decided to act to reduce these negative effects.
This new requirement restricts wood burning fires to be at least 15 feet away from adjacent property lines. All wood burning fires also have to extinguished no later than 10 p.m.
According to a City of Fort Collins press release, residents can reduce the likelihood of negative impacts from smoke by doing the following:
- Placing fire pits at least 15 feet from combustible structures
-Fire pits must be at least 15 feet away from property lines
- Burning only clean, dry seasoned wood
- Keeping fuel piles under 3 feet in diameter and less than 2 feet in height
- Having enough airflow to allow for efficient burning
- Fully extinguishing fires with water by 10:00 p.m.
If you do have a complaint you can submit it through Access Fort Collins.