Poudre Fire Authority Chief and Local Garage Save Vintage Fire Engine
A 1940 fire engine that was built by the United States Army at Fort Holabird, MD in December 1940 has found a new home with the Fort Collins Fire Museum. It was recently rescued by Poudre Fire Authority Chief Tom DeMint at a local auction and repaired by Houska Automotive in Fort Collins.
History of Fire Engine
During World War II the engine served at Prisoner of War Camp 202, west of Greeley. It was purchased at a military surplus auction by the City of Fort Collins in 1947. Once it came to Fort Collins, it served as both a front line engine and a reserve engine. In 1976 the engine was considered surplus property and was sold in a sealed bid auction. The successful bidder was Bill Swets of Timnath, and for many years the engine was displayed at the Swetsville Zoo.
In July of this year, Swets auctioned many of the items he had acquired over the years including the fire engine. Poudre Fire Authority Chief Tom DeMint was the successful bidder. The cost of purchasing the engine was covered by Fire Museum funds and private donations. Houska Automotive heard about the purchase and volunteered to get the engine running again. The engine will be moved to a storage facility where other historic Fort Collins fire engines are stored.
About the Fort Collins Fire Museum Foundation
The engine is owned by the Fort Collins Fire Museum Foundation. The Foundation is a 501(c) 3 non-profit organization. Donations to further the preservation of fire history in Fort Collins are greatly appreciated and can be mailed to P.O. Box 272547, Fort Collins, CO 80527.