Poudre Fire Authority Puts Out Fort Collins Deck Fire Started by Old Ashes
Old ashes were the cause of a recent Fort Collins fire.
According to a Facebook post from Poudre Fire Authority (PFA), the incident occurred Monday (Dec. 14) morning on Collingswood Dr., when a small deck fire broke out at a local residence.
Upon arrival, PFA's Engine 12 Crew quickly extinguished the flames, which had spread from the deck to the front of the home.
Three people and a dog were in the home at the time. Thankfully, they were able to escape unharmed.
"The fire was accidental and caused by the improper disposal of ash or embers from the previous night," read the post. "Ashes have been known to reignite hours and even days after a fire, just like in this case."
In order to safely dispose of ashes, PFA recommends the following steps:
- After ashes have cooled, place them in a metal container with a metal lid.
- Pour water over the ashes.
- Secure the metal lid on the container.
- Place the container outside and apart from any combustible items.
- Soak the ashes for several days before disposing.
After putting the fire out, firefighters removed the burned wood from the deck to eliminate any hot spots and establish a safe area for repair.
Colorado's Safest Cities