Ride the Rockies Bicycle Race Coming to Fort Collins
The Denver Post Ride The Rockies Bicycle Tour has announced the route for its annual summer event. The 2016 ride will take place over six days from Sunday, June 12 to Friday, June 17. For the 1st time, the tour will include Fort Collins.
The route will cover 403 miles and will climb nearly 30,000 vertical feet. Highlights will include Independence Pass, Fremont Pass, Tennessee Pass, Vail Pass, Ute Pass and high alpine Trail Ridge Road through Rocky Mountain National Park. The Denver Post Community Foundation, in partnership with Wells Fargo, will award a $5,000 grant to a nonprofit organization in each host town.
The 2016 Ride The Rockies Route:
- Prologue Ride - Saturday, June 11 - Aspen - 47 miles - Includes: Snowmass, Woody Creek, Watson Divide
- Sunday, June 12 - Carbondale to Aspen - 50 miles - Includes: Missouri Heights, Rio Grande Trail
- Monday, June 13 - Aspen to Copper Mountain - 85 miles - Includes: Independence Pass, Fremont Pass
- Tuesday, June 14 - Copper Mountain Loop - 79 miles - Includes: Fremont Pass, Tennessee Pass, Red Cliff Bridge, Battle Mountain, Vail Pass
- Wednesday, June 15 - Copper Mountain to Grand Lake - 85 miles - Summit County & Dillon Dam, Rec Path, Ute Pass
- Thursday, June 16 - Grand Lake to Estes Park - 49 miles - Includes: Trail Ridge Road & Milner Pass, Rocky Mountain National Park
- Friday, June 17 - Estes Park to Fort Collins - 55 miles - Includes: Devils Gulch, Horsetooth Reservoir, Finish Line at Odell Brewing Company in Fort Collins